I’m gonna remember 2013. It’s the year I turned 30, my startup was acquired and I moved to San Francisco. As I reflected on the past year and the previous 29 before it, I made a list of things I’ve learned along the way.
Here’s the list:
- Don't over think things. Often "because you want to" is reason enough.
- Dating gets easier as you get older.
- Who you are has more to do with how you act and what you love than what you have or say.
- Minimize regret not disappointment.
- Telling someone you're 30 is significantly different from telling them you're 29. You know it. They know it.
- Give people a chance. Make plans with people you just met. Go on that first date. It won't always work but some will and a few will change your life.
- If you're not sure, that typically means no. Especially in love.
- Once in a while do something everyone says you shouldn't. This is the source of my best and worse moments. All great stories.
- Live a life full of great stories.
- Boys and girls can be just friends.
- Don't mistake "how it's been done" for "how it should be done".
- Moving somewhere new is healthy. You'll learn about yourself and find new appreciation for people and things you take for granted.
- Happiness is a choice.
- People's perception of someone's life is often very different from the reality.
- There's something magical about having dinner with someone.
- Success feels more like relief than accomplishment.
- Success is fleeting.
- What the hell is success?
- Take care of your body and it'll take care of you.
- Sunday morning is the best part of the week.
- Who you choose to spend your time with has an enormous impact on who you'll be. Choose wisely.
- I shamelessly dance and sing while getting dressed and in the car. I'm convinced it doubles my personal happiness. Try it.
- The first step in "living the dream" is to build it.
- There are things in life you won't understand and can't explain. Don't waste your time trying to do either. Smile and enjoy them, they're the best.
- Life is messy, unpredictable and absolutely wonderful.
Posted on Jan 01, 2014 from Los Gatos, CA